Saturday, July 5, 2014

Analyzing "A Wish" by Gregory and The Hawk



(Verse 1)
I wish to feel smaller
Under your sheets
I wish for the whole truth
Every time you speak
I'm thinkin' about how you care half as much for me
As I watch you arrive, smoke cigarettes, sleep...

 
(verse 2)
And I guess it doesn't matter what I say or what I seem
You stuck what I felt for you in the pocket of your jeans
Ignoring me the morning after isn't enough
And I swear I'm gonna cry
I'm sick of tryin' to be tough

 
(chorus)
And my blood won't stick
To the confines of my veins
And your heart
Is gonna tear mine away

(Verse 3)
And I wish to feel smaller under your hands
Though you seem satisfied
As you slip mine down your pants
And I'm thinkin' about how you care half as much for me
As you lift up my shirt after asking politely

(verse 4)
And I guess it doesn't matter what I am or pretend to be
'Cause it's her you'll always love and it's her I'll always envy
I want to end this now so dreams of you won't keep me up
But I swear I'm gonna cry
I'm sick of tryin' to be tough
 
(chorus)

(Verse 5) 
And it's hard to find
What I want
When it's buried beneath the biggest rock
I could pay lots of money
To help lift it with machines
But I'm not sure you'd cooperate
Not sure you'd come clean

(verse 1)
(verse 2)

Yeah, I swear I'm gonna cry
I'm sick of tryin' to be tough

And my blood won't stick
To the confines of my veins
And your heart
Is gonna tear mine away
Is gonna tear mine away 

Okay this is my first time, analyzing a song lyric on my blog, so..  excuse the defects.

Verse 1
 "I wish to feel smaller under your sheet," is probably saying that the girl isn't comfortable sleeping with the guy, because she doesn't feel small enough, she doesn't feel being embraced enough by the guy. "I wish for the whole truth everytime you speak", clearly the guy is a pathological liar. "Thinking about how you care half as much for me" probably means that the guy is careless about the girl, and she presumes that she cares more about the guy than the guy "cares" about her. So it's kind of one-sided. "as I, watch you arrive, smoke cigarettes, sleep." says that the guy acts as if he ignores her. Verse 1 tells a girl's complain about her guy, being careless about her, he tells lies as if they're no biggie. and the girl starts to feel that the guy only takes, but doesn't give. 

Verse 2 
"And I guess it doesn't matter what I say or what I seem" means that the guy doesn't care what the girl does. "You stuck what I felt for you in the pocket of your jeans" probably means that the guy really won her heart and her love, and he "put" it deep inside him so it won't be taken away by the girl. It seems like, the guy really enjoys having "someone" who loves him, but he won't even think about loving them back. "Ignoring me the morning after isn't enough" means yeah, the guy is a complete asshole. "I swear I'm gonna cry, I'm sick of trying to be tough" the girl really wants to cry, but the lyric isn't even saying that the girl cries in front of her guy. So, She really really wants to cry, she's sick of being tough, but she stays strong. The conclusion from verse 2 is that, we find out from this verse that the girl doesn't feel comfortable being with her guy, but she can't leave, because she's stuck to the feelings she has for her guy.

Chorus
"My blood won't stick to the confines of my veins" means that she doesn't feel attached to herself. She's not feeling completely herself. That means that she's anxious, she's scared, she's nervous, she can't calm down. "And your heart is gonna tear mine away" means that in the end, the guy's behaviors will eventually tear her apart. 

Verse 3
"And I wish to feel smaller under your hands". Okay now they're holding hands, but the girl, again, she doesn't feel small enough, not comfortable enough when the guy's embracing her. "Though you seem satisfied. As you slip mine down your pants". after holding her hands, the guy slips her hands down to his pants(?) LOL. the embrace suddenly becomes sexual, and the guy starts to feel satisfied because the girl actually slips her hands inside his pants LOL. "And I'm thinkin' about how you care half as much for me. As you lift up my shirt after asking politely" STILL IN that moment, the girl still thinks about the guy's bad behaviors, about him being careless and ignorant, while the guy's being all horny, lifting her shirt after asking politely, making the girl fall in love with him all over again. 

Verse 4
 "And I guess it doesn't matter what I am or pretend to be" means that the girl has been trying to be someone else so the guy will like her, but in the end it doesn't matter. "Cause it's her you'll always love and it's her I'll always envy" means that there is someone out there who he likes more! finally in this verse we know that there's someone else! another girl he likes, another girl who's everything she's not. She envies her for that. "I want to end this now so dreams of you won't keep me up", knowing that there's someone out there, she wants to end this relationship, so she will sleep well, she will get herself back together. BUT.. "But I swear I'm gonna cry, I'm sick of trying to be tough", but she actually doesn't want to end this. She's sad ending this relationship. 

Verse 5
"And it's hard to find what I want when it's buried beneath the biggest rock. I could pay lots of money to help lift it with machines" this line probably tells that she has this wish that might "come true". But..... "But I'm not sure you'd cooperate. Not sure you'd come clean" But she's not sure, if her wish will cooperate, not sure if she can have him "clean" as in have him wholly for her, as what she wishes. SO what she wants is actually the guy, she could try try try so hard to get the guy, her guy, but she knows that how hard her trying, she won't have him completely, she won't have him clean, as he's a dirty, cheating asshole lol.

And she will cry, and cry, she's sick of being tough.

Okay that's it. Um it's a great song. I often listen to this when I'm not good enough for someone I love. Anyways, thanks for reading. 



No comments:

Post a Comment