Saturday, July 12, 2014

Caulfield's Steps; "The Catcher in The Rye" Book Review



Oh, that funny feelings when you've just finished reading a book. Somebody really special recommended this book, "The Catcher in The Rye" written by J.D Salinger. Honestly, I don't know what to say hahaa. I just finished reading it, but in the other side I really really want to keep on reading, finding out things that should've been found out in the end of this book. But the book was finished, so... It's kinda frustrating me, in a way. HAHAH

The book was brilliant in its own way. The writer had this odd writing style. It was kind of childish but funny, in a way. HAHAHA look who's got influenced... The book is about this young man, Holden Caulfield, who had this peculiar but awesome point of view. He had been expelled from 4 schools he had gone to. And he started to leave this last school he went to called "Pencey Prep", he left to New York with just enough of dough. It's funny to hear that someone actually uses the word "dough" instead of "money". At the first time, I had troubles reading it because there were so many words I didn't understand such as:

1) Phony, it means fake
2) Flit means gay
3) "That killed me" means that something is really funny 
4) "Give her the time" means sex
5) "Horsing around" means messing around 

I also really like the old spellings, like "Sonuvabitch". "Helluva", "Swell", "What'sa matter?". They got me feeling groovy somehow.

This book was really descriptive.But it wasn't descriptive about what's going on in this book, but it was descriptive about what's going on in Holden Caulfield's mind. Holden, Holden has this awesome way of living his life. What he tells you in this book can actually make you feel the way he feels. It gave me depression a few times. It made me stay in my room in the dark, early morning, thinking about cold snowy central park with nobody around.

I really enjoyed reading the book, it didn't give me the intense climax or anything, but I really enjoyed it. I really felt the confusion, the lonesome Holden felt. It really gave me depression, a nice one though. But don't worry, in the last part of this book, Caulfield will cure your depression, so you won't be feeling detached eventually. Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment